Monday, April 1, 2013

Morgantown Road Race: The Secrets of the Masters Men’s Peloton


Race Report
Dana Stryk
Evolution Cycling p/b Long and Foster

Race
Morgantown RR
Date
March 30, 2013
Field
10+ women’s field, racing with the Masters Men
Field Demographics
Cat 1/2/3
Course Data
44 mile course with 2 significant climbs.
Weather
Sunny and temperate

Title for this novella:  “Morgantown Road Race:  The Secrets of the Masters Men’s Peloton” 

Saturday’s race, which would take racers through the hills of Pennsylvania and West ‘by God’ Virginia, was one that I was eagerly awaiting.  The climbs were long for an area race, which would make the billy goat inside of me happy.

For this race, I was joined by several teammates, both male and female. The race course was not multiple loops, allowing all categories to start within 30 minutes of each other.  The W 1/2/3 field rolled out with the Masters Men’s field.  Wendy, Gwen and I learned at the line that we would be racing alongside the men.  Wendy and I made sure that we were at the front for the neutral roll-out and found ourselves in good position behind Stephanie (Swan) at the front of the combined pack. (Just a note for the promoters:  I know that the fields are sometimes small, but a five minute gap between the men and women would be greatly appreciated.  By putting us all together we are no longer in a categorized race, we are simply in an Open race.  This really changes the dynamic of our race and not for the better.)
The beginning of the race
Photo Credit:  Fred Jordan
The final climb at the finish.
Photo Credit:  Fred Jordan
The road surface was ok until it was not and when it was not, it was really bad.  Around mile 7, I was riding on Stephanie’s wheel next to the double yellow when I hit a series of potholes. A few moments later, my rear wheel was flat and my race over.  Once the wheel van arrived and I had another wheel, I had to decide…return to the start or have a good TT workout.  I chose the latter.  End of race report….but….

There are many “cardiac knowledge truisms” (CKT) male cyclists state about women’s racing. (CKT = what you know deep in your heart is true, but have no evidence)  During my days working at the bike shop, one of my co-workers, a local racer, would complain, “You all (women) chit chat during your races.  Why don’t you just race?  Like us!  You won’t find us talking at all.”  I have heard this sentiment over and over.  Do we chat in races?  Yes.  Until Saturday, I could not evaluate the validity of the other part of the statement. 

Although I flatted 15 minutes into the race, my superior data and analytical skills from my day-job as an international economist allowed me to conduct an in-depth study of the behavior of the male peloton and I am now able to reveal its secrets!

The top three things I learned/thought about the male peloton after spending 15 minutes with them during a race:

(1)  Men talk during the race MORE than we do.  Granted, the field size is much larger so to catch up with all your peeps (notice timely Easter candy reference) takes more time.  But….everyone’s nickname should be Cathy…given how Chatty they were. 

(2)  Riding with Vic on the Evo 2/3 Saturday ride is something I should have done more often and when the attacks from Super Dave, Vic or another guy arrived, what would happen to our field? (with the flat, turns out I never had this question answered).

(3)  Some Men CHEAT*.  During the neutral roll-out, a gentleman (a word used with a great deal of poetic license) in red and black (if I remembered the team name, I would dime him out but, alas, I do not) demonstrated his poor spatial skills, for he could not tell the difference between right and left with respect to the double yellow line.  This inability to tell right from left and right from wrong continued for the time I was in the field.  I was very disappointed to see how often I saw this behavior.  The rule is there for a reason, not so that you can use it as your own personal passing lane.  Was your integrity worth those three spots at mile four in a 50 mile race?  (stepping down from soapbox now).

Kudos and shout-outs:
·         Wendy and Gwen:  one day, ladies, our race karma will improve and we will all be able to race the same race without cracked wheels, flats or demonstrated CX skills.
·         Super Dave and Vic:  the upside of my race was riding along both these gentlemen (proper use of the word for these two men who would battle for the top spot on the podium) for an all-too-brief moment.  A lot to be learned from riding with these two.
·         CA:  one word…sprinter? 
·         Paul E:  thank you for coming to cheer the end of my race.  Sorry you had to wait so long for me to finish.
·         The owner of the Mavic wheel I borrowed:  Thanks for not having a 23!

*Flame away but…..I have heard stories from many guys about such cheating during races.  Black Hills was filled with these stories, from a local MABRA team in a pace line riding left of the double yellow by the dog park, to other less-organized infractions…and that is a sad summary of our sport and racing at our amateur level.

3 comments:

  1. Dana, I'd have to say you're very accurate on your observations! As for the yellow line rule, it seems to be sort of optional here. Some of us stick to it but there's always those couple riders... As for the combined fields, I'd more kind of agree with you but resources are a bit stretched and the lower cat women riders then have an issue if JR puts them back there. It does certainly change the dynamic. Wish there was a better option for everyone.
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. and ya, I'm one of the more vocal ones in the pack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the smaller women's fields is a pain for promoters and my thanks for keeping our races, despite the cost/benefit analysis which I imagine says...drop the W fields. I wonder if the W1/2/3 field could have rolled 2 minutes later - but..that could mess up things after us.

    ReplyDelete