Monday, March 25, 2013

Black Hills: I am a Cheap Date


Race Report
Dana Stryk
Evolution Cycling p/b Long and Foster

Race
Black Hills Circuit Race
Date
March 24, 2013
Field
30+ combined field
Field Demographics
Cat 1/2/3/4 – 4’s scored separately
Course Data
10 laps, one climb
Weather
Cold and grey.  No rain

Someone suggested that I attempt a race report which was less novella and more to the point.  How boring!  I tried to be more straightforward but failed at the attempt, so here is my novella entitled, “Black Hills:  I am a Cheap Date”.


Black Hills:  I am a Cheap Date
Photo Credit:  Jeff Erler

Race Strategy and Expectations:
Wendy, Jeff, Chuck, Larry, and I pre-rode the course on Saturday. Wendy and I chatted about what we expected to happen in the field.  With strong riders from NCVC and ABRT, we expected a break to occur early on in the race.  We needed to be in position to respond to it.   Easy enough.  Right?

Race Day:
Chuck, Larry and I arrived about 2 hours before my race.  An ambulance on the course and a rider down greeted us.  I am not a weepy or emotional person (except for sad animal scenes in movies or commercials).  I don’t cry.  I may shed a tear or two, but more than that?  Only if I am peeling onions…
  
That scene (I later learned involved an Evo teammate, who is okay) invoked memories of a horrible day last spring at Carl Dolan.  I found myself so rattled and weepy (and without Kleenex) which took me by surprise.  I sat in Wendy’s car rather shell shocked as her words calmed me.  She said what turns out to be the right thing…race and don’t let that fear keep you in the back of the pack.

We warm up, go to the line and we are off.  The first time up the hill, I am third wheel and the woman in front of me is falling back, so I bridge the gap to the first rider, we turn and start the descent and I realize we have a gap on the field.  As I yell, “Keep going,”  she slows and asks….”What did you say”  and the moment is over.  I maintain position toward the front.  In either the next lap or the subsequent one, Katy attacks from the right (my thought…Holy Gamoly.  Come on legs!!) and the race is on.  I am able to match her acceleration.  Sadly for me, she accelerated again and I could not match it.  Katy was off the front with two others – Alexis and Michelle. 

On this same hill attack (I think), there was a crash which almost took out Wendy.  Using skills that suggest she should try CX (CX barriers would be cake…or beer to be CX appropriate…compared to a person!), she remained upright but had to unclip, which created a gap between the field and her. 

With NCVC and ABRT in the break, I knew that there would be no chase. I also anticipated that a certain someone named Amanda would get a little antsy and try to create another break.  I knew that if I could anticipate her attack and jump on her wheel, I could go with her.  I stayed toward the front but made the mistake of not latching myself to Amanda’s wheel.  She attacked and the person in front of me did not (her teammate…silly me) so I lost my opportunity.

So we have 5 up the road and 8 in the group.  NCVC and ABRT have no incentive to push the pace.  I rode at or on the front for the remaining laps (6 or 7 or so).  With teammates up the road, ABRT would not push the pace but they were quite good at matching mine and my attempts to get away were for naught.

The final climb
On the final lap, I moved to the front.  As we hit the final hill, I was sitting in about third in the group but started drifting back. We sprinted for the line and I ended up 4th in the sprint, 10th overall, 8th in the 1/2/3 field.

Analysis:
  • Finally my positioning in a race was good and I did not have the excuse, “I could not respond to an attack because I was stuck in the back.” 
  • My training is working.  I felt strong during the race (despite photos of my mouth hanging open).  All those Sufferfest videos on the Computrainers in the BTC with intervals are improving my weak spots.
  • I train harder than I race.  Looking at power numbers, one would expect a race effort would be the top wattage value for various time allotments.  Not mine…I generate higher wattage on my training rides.  Since a top 5 finish was out the door, why did not pretend I was on my local route to Mason Neck and see what happened?  Answer?

I lack what is pictured above.
And to the part of the novella title referencing cheap date status….that is why you hang out after races.  You never know what someone might say…..right, Claudia? 

Kudos and shouts-out:
·         Wendy – here is to our first race as official teammates!
·         Jeff – thanks for the photos!
·         Kyle Coaching – thanks for the training plan which enabled me to be in position for the attack.
·         Kelly – we missed you!
·         Larry – thanks for the pre-race support.  You are a great cheerleader and friend.
·         CA – glad we put some inner demons to rest.
(apparently I may not cry a lot, but boy am I mushy!)




No comments:

Post a Comment