Wednesday, July 24, 2013

2013 Lost River Classic: The Hills are alive with the Sound of Music: Unfortunately for you, I am the one singing.


Race Report
Dana Stryk
Evolution Cycling p/b Long and Foster
                      
Races
Lost River Classic Road Race
Date
July 20
Field
very small (13 including the 4 field)
Field Demographics
W1/2/3 racing with W4
Weather
Sunny, hot and humid
Topography
Hilly

Title for this novella:  “The Hills are alive with the Sound of Music:  Unfortunately for you, I am the one singing.”

Saturday, July 20th, Lost River Road Race, Mathias, WV.  2 ¾ laps, 2 climbs, uphill finish.

Prior to Saturday, the last time I raced the Lost River Classic was during the inaugural year.  That year the women’s field was very small, I was a Cat 3 who spent all her time climbing, the top of the second climb had a cheering section complete with drums, I finished 7th overall after being dropped on the more technical descent after the finish line climb on the second lap.

What a difference a few years make.

Fast forward to 2013:  The field was even smaller, there was no cheering section, and I was popped on a climb.

The W1/2/3 field consisted of 3 women and yours truly.  Prior to the race, my plan was to to move to the front do a few 1 minute efforts to try and break up the field. If a few of us to get away, we would stay away.  As we rolled from the neutral start and made a left turn onto the course, we turned straight into a headwind…I hate wind.  I knew trying to get away in a wind would be a losing battle so I decided to let the hill do the work for me.

We hit the finish hill (the start and finish are different….from the start, you complete about ½ or ¾ of a lap before crossing the finish line) and the massive 1/2/3 field of four gaps the W4 women.  With the descent we have a gap that is probably safe.  We hit the second hill – which is longer and a stair-step….which I forgot.  Kat (North Tek) danced up the hill with an amazing cadence with Mary (NCVC) on her wheel.  I could not match her acceleration and the loud pop that echoed through the valley was me going backwards, not heard since John T. Mathias left for the Civil War.  On a hill…..for goodness sake I’ve conquered Alpe d’Huez, Galibier, Tourmalet, Ventoux, la Bonette and many others.  Grrrr. The 10% grade on Berry Mountain got me.  I cracked like Contador on Stage 18….you get the picture.  But I was not alone.

Diedre (CAWES) and I, joined at times by the leader of the WC4 race, who seemed scared to stay on our wheel (I later learned she did not want to interfere with our race – her words.) worked together but could not close the gap on Mary and Kat.

On the final lap, I began building my race strategy for third place.  At the Frederick crit, I knew I needed to sprint early, since my competitors there, Chris and Michele, were more powerful shorter sprinters.  For this race, the hill was steep, normally my strength.  However,  my 2013 season goals had an emphasis on crit training.  The long days of Skyline and Howard County rides had been substituted with lots of Anaerobic Capacity intervals, great for crits but had weakened my inner billy goat.  At 200m to go, the hill kicks up to the steepest part.  I accelerated and sprinted up that part to realize I jumped too early.  Shortly thereafter, Diedre jumps.  I waited a second or two – then started catching her, for she had slowed toward the top.  I had waited too long, for she was across the line before me by a matter of inches.

Lessons Learned:
As I do the Should-a, Would-a, Could-a for the race, I concluded that I raced the best that I could.  CA pulled up my power file, we looked for point in time in which my heart trumped my legs, but it wasn’t there.  Simply, I could not match the early acceleration and the better climber won. 

The genesis of my blog title….The hills were alive and very painful….like being in the room with me if I sing….

Kudos and Shout-outs
Vic, Geoff, Ray and Mike:  It was great to watch the end of your race....and a great Evo Master's Men showing.
NCVC Race Marshalls:  Excellent example of how to manage a road race, especially the gentleman who flagged our right turn with an arabesque.
Motor Ref for the W Race:  Thanks for all the time split updates!
CA:   Thank you for doing a race that you swore never ever to do again.  Weekends in the Race Vehicle are so much fun….
Lost River, WV:  What a beautiful area....from the cows I saw swimming to the eagles flying at dusk....I can't wait to return.


No comments:

Post a Comment